Governor Mike Dunleavy signs HB 308 and SB 74 in his Anchorage office on March 25, 2020. Click here for more photos.
House Bill 308 aggressively expands unemployment insurance benefits by waiving the one-week waiting period, increasing the weekly benefit for dependents from $24 to $75 per week, and protecting workers affected by COVID-19 and the associated health mandates. The legislation aligns with the emergency directives adopted by Governor Mike Dunleavy, and President Donald Trump.
More on AkGlobe News
- Braeden Lichti: The Complicated World of Biotech Investments in the Era of COVID-19
- Juneau: Celebrating this Memorial Day weekend
- As state reports another COVID-19 case in Juneau, efforts to slow spread are far from over
- Alaska: HONORING THE VICTIMS OF THE NOVEL CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
- Capgemini UK Plc Breaches GDPR Regulations
"Last week, I called for an aggressive expansion of unemployment benefits to help hardworking Alaskans suffering from the economic impacts of the COVID-19 outbreak," said Governor Mike Dunleavy. "This bill represents a big win for Alaska's workers. I thank the Legislature for taking this important first step and look forward to enacting additional relief soon."
"HB 308 gives my team in the unemployment division the needed tools to be flexible and to expedite much needed payment of benefits to impacted Alaskans. Passage of this legislation was a collaborative effort," said Dr. Tamika L. Ledbetter, commissioner of the Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development.
Senate Bill 74 provides a strong positive impact on the educational experience for teachers and students in rural school districts that experience extremely high costs for internet. This legislation increases the minimum internet speed for all of Alaska's schools from 10 megabits per second (Mbps) to 25 Mbps and will benefit 168 schools and 30 school districts.
More on AkGlobe News
- Practicing mindfulness without addressing self-destructive habits is like placing a band-aid on a festering wound
- Glass Mosaic Artist Allison Eden Studios Pivots Into Fashion With Face Mask Line
- Juneau: People of CBJ: Hannah O'Daniel
- Alaska: 🎥📷 5/21 COVID-19 Virtual Town Hall
- COVID-19 loan program assists 140 small businesses in Juneau which support nearly 800 jobs
"This legislation will greatly enhance the delivery and quality of education to Alaska's students and expand access to affordable internet for schools," said Governor Mike Dunleavy. "I thank Senator Hoffman for his efforts in passing this invaluable legislation."
"Senate Bill 74 is another demonstration of the Legislature's and Governor Dunleavy's commitment to rural Alaska," said Department of Education and Early Development Commissioner Dr. Michael Johnson. "A special thanks to Senator Hoffman for his tireless advocacy for students, particularly in rural schools. I also thank Governor Dunleavy for taking time to sign this bill so quickly as part of his effort to add additional support for students during our response to the COVID-19 crisis."
For the latest information on Alaska's response to COVID-19, please visit http://coronavirus.alaska.gov.
Latest on AkGlobe News
- Lineus Medical Awarded Key Patent
- Alaska: 🎥📷 5/20 COVID-19 Press Briefing
- Alaska: 2020 PFD to Begin Distribution July 1
- Juneau: Updated budget balancing tool & childcare on tonight's Assembly Finance Committee agenda
- Alaska: Governor Issues Statement on Legislative Action on CARES Act Funding
- Compassion Launches Global Initiative to Combat the Havoc Wreaked by COVID-19
- MBK Senior Living Acquires Kirkwood Orange Assisted Living & Memory Care
- Michael Brown joins the Qnext Board Advisory Team and Brings Significant Insight on Applying Cybersecurity & Zero Trust Remote Access to Public Sector
- Symplast Partners with ChangeWell Training Academy to Present Three-Course Webinar Series Focused on Mastering Video Post-COVID
- U.S. Army Selects DiSTI to Build C-RAM II Operator and Maintenance Trainer (OMT)
- CRH Healthcare hires Veteran Operator as COO
- Onlive Server Launched Japan VPS Hosting with Cloud Computing Control Panel
- Student Essay Contest, Hosted By Humanist Canada, Call for Submissions
- Alaska: 🎥📷 5/19 COVID-19 Press Briefing
- Governor Announces Phase Three of Reopen Alaska Responsibly Plan
- Juneau: CBJ's October 6 Regular Municipal Election will be held as a vote-by-mail election
- Coherent Logix Joins the Edge AI and Vision Alliance
- Dr. Zink and Department of Corrections staff discuss COVID-19 cases with Juneau Assembly
- Bid4Assets to Host First-Ever Online Tax Sale for Nye County, Nevada Treasurer
- AI.Reverie Wins AFWERX Phase 1 SBIR Award From U.S. Air Force to Enhance Intelligence-Gathering