One Raven: Painting One Story at a Time is a collection of recent works by Worl depicting stories about Raven and other characters from Tlingit oratory. While the stories Worl shares through her art feature Raven, she also explores subsistence lifestyle in Alaska.
"In Tlingit oratory there are an abundance of stories about Raven's journey to cultural knowledge and values. This exhibition will show a collection of gouache paintings illustrating Raven and other beings in transformation, and other characters in Tlingit stories. The series will also include imagery of subsistence lifestyle in Alaska with formline human and animal figures," Worl says.
More on AkGlobe News
- Pvilion Awarded $1.5 Million USAF Phase II SBIR Contract for Autonomously Deployable Structures
- U.S. Army Awards DiSTI $10M Delivery Order for JLTV Trainers
- VORAGO Technologies announces family expansion and size reduction of radiation-hardened Arm® Cortex® MCUs into BGA packages for Defense and Aerospace
- CU Xpress Lease Expands into Northern California
- Grab 'em by the Microphone! Independent Feature Film To the New Girl Releases on VOD
One Raven: Painting One Story at a Time is an excellent example of Worl's ability to incorporate both traditional and modern design elements into her work. Deftly blending Tlingit formline design with Athabascan beadwork design, Worl utilizes non-traditional colors, textures, and paint splatters to add a bright, colorful, and "popping" contemporary mood to the collection.
"The purpose of my art is to bring attention to cultural growth and discovery. My creative process is a means to bridge my experiences between two worlds, the traditional worlds of Tlingit, and the modern world. I create art to share my ancestral knowledge of creation and life and to pass on old values to the new generations," explains Worl.
Crystal is Tlingit and Athabascan from Juneau, and Fairbanks, Alaska. Her mother, Beverly Demientieff, is Deg Hit'an Athabascan from Holy Cross, Alaska. Her father, Rodney Worl, is Tlingit from the Thunderbird Clan. Crystal is Raven moiety, Lukaahadi Sockeye Clan, from the Raven House from the Chilkat region of Southeast Alaska. In Crystal's words, "One Raven: Painting One Story at a Time is a collection of work demonstrating my love for Tlingit culture, design, and way of life."
Latest on AkGlobe News
- There are three elections in 2020 that Juneau voters may participate in
- Clarity Gold Reported 2.32 oz/t Au - Sent Crews to Three High Grade Gold Properties in BC
- Doctor Develops Personalized Solution to COVID-19 Threat
- Andrew Carnegie Global Capital Announces a $20M Fintech Venture with Braintree in the Coming Year
- Andrew Carnegie Global Capital Has Announced an Equity Investment in a Brantstone Properties Development Project – London, Slated 2023
- What if Bon Jovi's Drummer Had Been an Indian Temple Musician From 800AD?
- New Memoir By U.S. Marine: Releasing on Amazon September 06 2020
- Alaska: American Wind Week
- Alaska: Community Health Center Week
- Building Your Success System. Unique New eBook
- Onlive Server Announced Europe based Germany VPS Server Hosting Services with KVM Hypervisor Cloud Panel
- CBJ is reporting seven new COVID-19 cases in Juneau
- ICON Jewel's Famed Hollywood Jeweler Talks Diamonds, Covid And These Uncertain Times
- Why We Need More Black Executives in Hip Hop? by Eric B
- Delta Western Opens New Gas Station Near Juneau-Douglas Bridge
- Marshals Of The Revolution-New Roots Country Music and Lifestyle Brand Has Arrived
- Juneau: Update on UnCruise Adventures
- Juneau: State's revised travel mandate allows Alaskans traveling within state to test at the airport
- Avoiding the 17a-4 Quagmire - AdvisorVault's Guide for Small FINRA Firms
- Eric Bopp Announces He's Running for Judge