It's not every day that our Fairbanks area population increases by thousands for an event. But what an event this will be! While delegates look forward to the important discussions relating to politics, social issues, and other topics effecting natives across Alaska, they also join the local community in enjoying the art, dance, and fellowship that goes along with convention week. This week-long series of events brings something that everyone can enjoy!
Residents and visitors will have the opportunity to shop for (or just enjoy viewing) native arts and crafts at the Alaska Native Customary Art Fair from October 17-19. This is a wonderful opportunity to buy one-of-a-kind items including clothing with beautiful beaded designs, baskets made from birch bark or baleen, sculptures made from ivory or soapstone, as well as a variety of pottery, jewelry, and artwork. The best part about it…you can buy directly from the creator of the crafts and have the opportunity to engage one-on-one with talented artists from across Alaska.
More on AkGlobe News
- Just 2 Weeks to go Until Military Airlift and Air-to-Air Refuelling 2019
- A New Dream Home Finder Program Is Launched in Beverly Hills
- Can a chiropractor help after a car wreck?
- RestoPro770 Exhibits at Florida's Premier Home Improvement Show
- Poverty Encounter at Children's Hunger Fund to receive international honor: the prestigious TEA Thea Award
Another way to participate in AFN week includes attending, or volunteering at, the Welcome Potlatch on October 16th at the Big Dipper Ice Arena. This traditional native potlatch is open to the public and is one of the ways that Fairbanks welcomes thousands of the visitors for AFN week. We also look forward to Quyana Alaska performances on October 17th and 18th. This cultural celebration is made up of traditional dances that have been passed down generation after generation.
While the delegates and local residents enjoy the week, I would ask that everyone take a moment to reflect on all the hard work that went into this event from a local level. Individuals from organizations such as Tanana Chiefs Conference, Fairbanks Native Association, Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, Explore Fairbanks, Doyon, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks North Star Borough, FNSB School District, the City of Fairbanks, Denakkanaaga, and more worked together to make sure delegates have everything they need to have a great week in Fairbanks. Sub-committees were formed to address specific issues such as health and safety, public relations, transportation, and accommodations. Explore Fairbanks created a website so that visitors would have an easy source for information for their visit to Fairbanks for AFN. Hundreds of volunteers will be helping with the potlatch, with parking, as airport greeters, and more.
More on AkGlobe News
- Juneau: Leveling the playing field between local & online sellers when it comes to sales tax
- Alaska: Governor Calls Out Distortion and Misinformation Regarding Federal Roadless Rule Grant
- SAP executive joins CXO Nexus as President and COO
- New 2020 Emsculpt Breakthrough Dual-Treatment Technology and "Miracle Laser" of the Cosmetic Industry Now at Perfect Body Laser on Long Island, NY
- Zip Refund Celebrates A Decade of Service For Independent Tax Preparers
If you are interested in volunteering for any of the events during AFN week, please visit afnfairbanks.com for more information.
The hundreds of volunteer hours, many committees made up of diverse organizations, and a community eager to welcome delegates and visitors will surely help this important week be a success. I am proud to be serving in this amazing community and look forward to a week that will make Fairbanks' welcoming spirit manifest.
Mayor Jim Matherly
City of Fairbanks
Latest on AkGlobe News
- Alaska: Governor Appoints Mel Gillis for House District 25 Seat
- PearlFection Dentistry invests in state of the art Cone Beam CT scanner (3D imaging), Panoramic X-ray System, and Cephalometric X-ray system
- Bob Holz to Release New Album with Rolling Stones Bassist Darryl Jones
- Competitive Financial Solutions for Business Development
- Alaska: Dunleavy Receives Department of Revenue Commissioner's Resignation
- Alaska: Governor Attends ALET Graduation Ceremony
- Connected Real Estate Summit Launched in Partnership with the #TechSuperShow 2020 in Florida
- Axiros Announces A Strategic Technology Partnership With AudioCodes
- Alaska: 🎥 Video Update | November 14, 2019
- Alaska: Dunleavy Appoints Interim AMCO Director
- Peachtree Immediate Care Opens New Urgent Care Clinic in Tucker, GA
- Process Technology Wins Respected Fast Track 50 Award!
- Hacking Hollywood Film Summit and Pitch Fest
- Telaeris and Coppernic Partner on Identity Authentication Solution for Europe
- Telaeris et Coppernic s'associent pour fournir une solution d'authentification de l'identité en Europe
- EasyIO introduces a new breed of Building Controller
- Alaska Wages Jump Four Percent in First Half of 2019
- Juneau: New JPD positions will expedite service, improve 911 response
- Do you love to cook? Eat? master chef tuscan style home for sale
- Governor Announces Changes to Alaska Railroad Corporation Board of Directors