Fairbanks Fire 2020 Annual Update
AkGlobe News/10121986

Trending...
https://www.fairbanksalaska.us/sites/default/fi...">In 2020, we continued our mission to deliver high quality emergency services to Fairbanks! Here at FFD, we all remain deeply committed to doing the best we can for all in our community. Here is a bit about the kind of year we had in 2020:

In 2020, FFD responded to 6,577 calls for service! Of those, we responded to 618 fire-related calls, including 136 structure fires.

FFD has continued to see an increase in call volume every year, up 33% since 2016. The continued rise in calls is at odds with the declining population numbers that are being reported.  In 2020 we still experienced an increase despite the sharp decline in tourism due to COVID19; tourism generally contributes to our responses every year.  Although some of the increase in call volume was from the coronavirus pandemic response, not all of the increase can be attributed to COVID-19.

More on AkGlobe News
Approximately 82% of our calls are for Emergency Medical Services (EMS) with the remaining 18% being fires, rescues, and other responses.

The department is experiencing a high turnover rate with retirements and relocations, but we were happy to welcome nine new employees in 2020.  FFD is working to recruit paramedics to address the high volume of EMS responses and exploring a variety of mechanisms to meet that need.

We have had some major changes in personnel on the administrative side with the retirement of Chief Jim Styers, the appointment of Assistant Chief Tod Chambers to Fire Chief, and the hiring of Assistant Chief Geoff Coon.

Thank you to the great residents of Fairbanks that continue to support our department!stats

Filed Under: Government, City

Show All News | Report Violation

0 Comments