WHEREAS, on this day in 1941, a military assault took place on the U.S. Naval Base at Pearl Harbor, claiming the lives of over 2,400 soldiers and citizens, and injuring over a thousand people. The destruction was immense – in addition to the loss of infrastructure on the base, 20 American naval vessels, including eight battleships of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, and over 300 airplanes were sunk or destroyed; and
WHEREAS, the bombing of Pearl Harbor spurred the entry of the United States into World War II, where the men and women of our Armed Forces fought courageously to defeat tyranny, secure our nation, and protect the freedoms of all people; and
More on AkGlobe News
- Yokohama Tokyu REI Hotel to Open April 7, 2020
- Author Sara Gordon Shares Her Heartbreak and Perseverance in Emotional New Memoir 'And They Thought I Had It All'
- Alaska: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Nordic countries have the best passports in the World
- IAOP Announces Intuit to Be Honored at OWS2.0 as Winner of the 2020 Global Excellence in Outsourcing Award
WHEREAS, reflecting on the loss of human life and the destruction of the Pearl Harbor Base that day serves as a stark reminder of the exceptional service and selfless sacrifice of our armed servicemen and women, who risk their lives and personal safety to shield our nation from harm, and preserve our nation's founding values and liberties; and
WHEREAS, today we pause in commemoration of those who fought and died on December 7, 1941 and we honor their bravery and final sacrifice; and
WHEREAS, we are profoundly grateful for members of our nation's military and their families, who freely risk all for the good of others.
NOW THEREFORE, I, Michael J. Dunleavy, GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF ALASKA, do hereby proclaim December 7, 2019 as:
Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day
in Alaska, and encourage all Alaskans to remember the exceptional service of our nation's Veterans, and direct that the Alaska Flag be flown at half-staff in honor of the American lives lost at Pearl Harbor.
Latest on AkGlobe News
- Thiel College names Anthony Kos, Ph.D. new Business Administration and Accounting Chair
- Alaska: Governor Dunleavy Mourns Loss of Willow Firefighter
- Alaska: Governor Announces Participation in Roundup Mining Conference
- Audience Serv Indonesia Drives More Direct Bookings In 2020
- San Francisco Opens The First Housing Program For Transgender & Gender Nonconforming Adults
- Diligence Capital Advisors Arranges Acquisition to Construction Loan for 37 Unit, Mixed-Use Project in South Kensington
- Rape Victim Strikes Back At Janitorial Industry Giant
- Great Gulf Features Holistic Beauty Expert Tammy Fender Services at La Clara Luxury Residences
- Professional Women Need P.O.W.E.R.!
- SeniorMatch.com Enrolls its Millionth Senior Single for Mature Dating
- Linksys And Axiros Enter Into Strategic Partnership
- Axiros Solution Enables WND UK, Sigfox Operator For United Kingdom To Manage CPEs On Their Network
- Belinda Goodrich ranked on Amazon best-seller list with new book, Get It Done: A Simple Process for Finding Harmony by Destroying Your To-Do List
- Actress Alessia Franchin Slated to Play a Lead role in "The Star Machine"
- Governor Dunleavy Unveils Alaska Reads Act
- The OnDemand Venture Capital ™
- Industrial Microwave Machine Manufacturer
- LED Panel Backlit Translucent Material
- Collaboration and Communications Survey Reveals Organizations Dealing With Multiple, Unintegrated Systems
- Genmega Announces New More Flexible Universal Kiosk