WHEREAS, consuming alcohol at any stage of pregnancy can cause Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD), which refers to conditions caused by prenatal exposure to alcohol, and can lead to lifelong complications such as physical, behavioral, and learning disabilities; and
WHEREAS, FASD is a leading cause of preventable and permanent birth defects and intellectual and developmental disabilities. Alaska has the highest known incidence of FASD in our nation, with more than 150 Alaskans diagnosed every year, and the number of actual cases estimated to be even greater; and
WHEREAS, children with FASD are often undiagnosed until a child has reached school age. While there is no cure, early intervention, diagnosis, and treatment have been shown to significantly help children with FASD learn to cope with disabilities; and
More on AkGlobe News
- CEO Coaching International Makes Inc.'s List of the 250 Fastest Growing Private Companies in California
- Solutions for Airborne Coronavirus, Tuberculosis, Measles and Influenza
- Juneau: Blueprint Downtown awarded "Most Innovative Planning Project"
- Delirious Comedy Club Of Downtown Las Vegas Continues Nightly Laughter With Celebrity Comedy Series
- Author Colby Van Wagoner's new book - Baggage Act 1: Quickies - a wild and satirical dating anthology!
WHEREAS, in addition to the personal and emotional difficulties, the lifetime health and social costs in medical care, special education, specialized services, and lost productivity are estimated to cost millions for each individual with FASD; and
WHEREAS, each year, on the ninth day of the ninth month, we are reminded of the importance of abstaining from alcohol during pregnancy, and to support healthy prenatal choices in our communities.
NOW THEREFORE, I, Michael J. Dunleavy, GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF ALASKA, do hereby proclaim September 9, 2019 as:
Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders Awareness Day
in Alaska, and encourage all Alaskans to abstain from alcohol consumption throughout the course of pregnancy, and to support pregnant family members, friends, and neighbors in their commitment to protect the next generation.
Latest on AkGlobe News
- Juneau: CBJ hosts free Housing & Development Forum Friday, Feb. 28
- Comedian Don Barnhart Reopens Jokesters Comedy Club With Best Deal In Las Vegas
- Boulder International Film Festival: March 5th - March 8th, 2020 includes Celebrity Appearances, Award-Winning Filmmakers, New Adventure Film Pavilion
- Google Will Index Sites Linked With No-Follow
- Lab Properties' New Sale-Leaseback Program Provides Cannabis Operators with Working Capital
- Inna Organic Receives Global Recognition as Premium Clean Beauty Brand
- Juneau: Learn about upcoming Augustus Brown Pool Renovation Tuesday, Feb. 25
- Alaska: Governor Dunleavy Signs HJR 9
- Juneau: Bartlett Team prepares for cruise season and Coronavirus
- Patton Announces the Industry's Most Flexible High-Density FXS VoIP Gateway
- Digital Media Solutions Names Kathy Bryan As Chief Marketing Officer
- AutoQuotes and FEDA Announce New Strategic Partnership
- Lantek increases its turnover by 9.6%, reaching $23 million
- ThreeMain Goes Carbon Neutral, Sells Out Of Inventory
- Jordan Belfort, Wolf of Wall Street, to Speak at 7th Annual CEO Summit
- The Global Premedia Network (GPN) announced today further expansion of its strategic partnership with premedia providers from Europe and Oceania
- TV Personality Santana Rodriguez Inks Deal with New Media Company, Expanding Audience for Her Popular TV Series "Shaping Up with Santana"
- Juneau: To avoid avalanche danger, avoid avalanche terrain
- Metavivor Announces Additional Metastatic Breast Cancer Research Awards
- Patriot Travel Reviews 7 New Viking River Cruise Ships for 2020